Monday 24 August 2009

Luke Leighfield Interview


Luke Leighfield
Interview

Tuesday 17th of June 2008
By Haydon S
Greetings Mr Leighfield, please introduce yourself.
Hi, I'm Luke, I'm twenty-years-old and I originally come from the lovely town of Upton upon Severn in Worcestershire.
Am I right in thinking that you can often be found in Southampton at the moment? Any favourite haunts?
Yep, I'm at uni there at the moment. I don't really get to go out much because I'm either playing a gig or I'm at someone else's, but I can sometimes be found in the library or my bedroom. I also missed out the obvious one which is The Joiners, probably my favourite small venue in the UK.
You're currently on your second album, Fan the Flames. Can you tell us a bit about the recording process for that record?
Basically I spent three weeks in my drummer's music room laying it down, whilst playing gigs most of those nights. It was pretty gruelling and by the time I came to do vocals I was very tired, which maybe shows, but I didn't have the money to do anything more fancy, and I didn't have the time to spend longer on it. We recorded the piano at my old school in Gloucester 'cause there was a nice grand piano there, and we went to London to do the brass with a few friends I have down there. Friends and associates played all the stuff that I couldn't, like guitar, strings, wind instruments etc.
The last thing to go on was gang vocals which I did with Sam Isaac and Stephen and Peter from Tellison. It was wicked, like we were in a pop punk band or something! Dan, my drummer, mixed it all and then we got it mastered elsewhere. Job done.
Your new single, 'If You Haven't Got Anything to Say' is out soon. What inspired that song?
That song was inspired by all the cover stories for the latest 'hot band' where the article would just talk about how they used to practice in their garage (how punk rock) or about their singer's drug habit. It's all so tired and boring, and it was never about the music, 'cause when you strip away their stale image there's nothing left. It also takes a dig at bands with rich kids in who try to succeed by buying the best equipment, which still can't mask any discrepancies in the music. The song was basically me telling myself to persevere through all this crap that's going on, because if I keep working hard then my time will come too, and hopefully I'll have more of a story to tell than all those generic indie bands.
Tell us about the Radio 1 love you've been getting recently.
Um, Huw Stephens played me a few times and let me do a live session. He's the only one to play me as far as I know! He's a lovely lovely man.
You have a label too, right? Get Got Need. What led you to setting that up?
How have you found the process of working for yourself in the crowded UK marketplace?
Well I wanted to release all of Sam Isaac's old demos, which we did with Eighteen Nine : Early Recordings. Obviously it then provided a platform for me to do my own stuff too. It now means I can help out other bands I like too, like Tim and Sam. The marketplace isn't really that crowded, people always need new music!
Are you on the lookout for new bands to sign, and if so, how can people get in contact?
Yep, always. www.myspace.com/gotgotneedrecords
What motivates you to write songs?
The main things I've written about in the past are love (aw) and things like thinking positively and working hard. I basically write about my life, so the first album was concerned with a break-up I went through, whereas the second one was written in the middle of touring where I needed motivation to persevere with what I was doing.
Which bands/artists have been influential in your development as a musician?
Something Corporate and Ben Folds are the reason I write on piano. At the moment my biggest influence is The Rocket Summer, an American guy who writes really happy pop rock with a funk edge. He's amazing. I listen to loads of different kinds of music and try to put it all together in a fresh way that hasn't been heard before. I don't consciously try and emulate a certain artist.
Are there any new bands/artists our readers should look out for?
Yep, reppin' some UK! Sam Isaac, Tellison, Tim and Sam's Tim and the Sam Band with Tim and Sam, Tanaou. I think all of those guys are going to break into the mainstream soon. I also love Dave House, Kid Cosmic, and basically all the bands in my top friends on Myspace. They're all good people, working hard and making great music.
Any career highlights or lowlights so far?
The Radio 1 session was cool. I've had so many good gigs and bad gigs that it's impossible to choose specific ones! I love playing full band though. My two favourite full bands shows were probably at The Spitz in London with Sam and Tellison in September '07, and also this March at The Borderline in London with Sam Isaac.
What does the rest of 2008 hold for Luke Leighfield?
I'm going to demo another album which I'm dead excited about. This one is going to feature some gospel elements! Apart from that, lots more gigging and that's about it. I'm also going to finish my bloody degree!
Any last thoughts?
It's time for breakfast.

http://www.the-mag.me.uk/Music/Articles/Item/Luke-Leighfield-Interview-20080617/

No comments:

Post a Comment