Monday 24 August 2009

Ted Barnes Interview


Ted Barnes
Interview

Wednesday 9th of July 2008
By Haydon S
Greetings to you Ted, how are you this fine day?
All is well today, thank you! Looking after my 15 month old son at the moment while his mum who is an artist is working.
You've had quite a musical past (some would say the past is being surpassed by your present) can you give a run-down of how your career's gone so far?
It's been a varied old thing so far and one that I stumbled into quite late on. I always have played but never expected it to become a career. When I was a teenager I was heavily into Irish traditional music so I bought myself a bouzouki and used to play in sessions and the like. When I was 24 I decided to move to London and study instrument making and it was only then that I started to play more regularly. I formed a band called 'Junction' which played Irish music fused with a whole load of influences. On the whole we were dodgy but we did have some fine moments!
It was then that I met my long-term writing partner Ali Friend who was the double bass player in Red Snapper. Through him I met Beth Orton. She really liked the way I played and we forged a writing/ playing relationship that lasted over 10 years, 3 albums and plenty of air miles! From there I formed Clayhill with Ali and a singer I had long admired called Gavin Clark who was in Sunhouse. We dragged him out of early retirement to write 3 albums and an EP together and we are presently writing our fourth.
While working with Beth I began writing my own material and have released 3 albums including Portal Nou. There have been highs and lows but overall it's been a joy that I was not expecting, it's tough surviving in the music business and somehow as each year goes by I chalk up another one! Highly expecting the carpet to be pulled from under my feet at some stage. I still feel I have lots more material to write so I hope I can keep on this path.
So you've got a new record out soon, Portal Nou. How does it feel to be standing on the edge of the new release?
It's always odd with any release unless you have major backing. In particular with my solo albums, as they have always come out on independents [labels] and this is on my own label, you sometimes have to remind yourself it's happening. All I know is as an artist it is essential to make statements of a time and place in your life and so I find it hard to move on creatively unless that release happens. I have been very lucky that this has always happened, but with Portal Nou its release got really dragged out due to label stuff until eventually I thought I would just do it myself. I am excited about this as the extra time meant I met Sebastian Rogers while touring with Catherine Feeney and he remixed the whole record which added a whole new life to it.
Its always interesting to see how your work is received although I have been very lucky with my first 2 albums which received very favourable press! Pity that does not equate in to sales!
How was the process of making the record?
It was quite painless this time! Sometimes an album will have a tricky phase but this one was quite pleasant throughout. I wanted it to be honest. I was just trying to come into a happier emotional place in my life and part of that was finding less strained ways of working, trying to be more spontaneous and living with first takes etc instead of losing the plot in perfectionism. I have struggled with this in the past and I am now constantly working on myself to achieve this. You realise this when you notice that you are always trying to achieve that freedom you had in a demo.
One thing that stands out for me about Portal Nou is how intricate it is, but simultaneously how immediate it is. This, to me, seems quite unusual, especially in an album which is largely instrumental. What motivates the sounds you've gone for on this record?
It's the usual really, I am a hoarders of instruments and junk and pretend to play a lot of them. I wanted it too be more fresh, as I explained above, so I went for first takes etc. I wanted it to be more rhythmic, driving. I wanted it to be short and more song based, even the instrumentals taking on that structure. And sound wise even though they are quite layered I wanted to be able to justify every sound and part.
Can you give us some of your musical influences?
There are many, but my main ones, I have to confess, are the people I work with, Ali Friend in particular. All the musicians that you click with must all be hung on to, they are worth their weight in gold! But on a non-sentimental note I had a dodgy youth into prog rock, then discovered Irish Traditional, then in to songwriters and for quite a few years I seem to be getting in to more and more obscure instrumental music. Band-wise it's Tin Hat Trio, Rickie Lee Jones, French 30s stuff, Max De Warderner, Fourtet, Yann Tiersen, Sparklehorse etc.
Portal Nou has quite a selection of guests, particularly guest vocalists. How did these collaborations come about?
Kathryn, Beth and Gavin I have worked with previously so it felt natural.
Dan had become a friend and Francoiz I searched out having loved her solo albums. Basically when I write a song I can hear a particular voice singing it and so I will seek that out. I have been very lucky to bring all this together. For me it was about it still being cohesive. I used to love the fact in the dance world they would do this on an album and I could never work out why in other areas its not encouraged.
You're putting the album out on your own label, Mornington Records. As The Mag is a website for unsigned/independent artists, do you have any advice for anyone considering a similar endeavour?
Go for it and do it. I do think it is only worth doing if you have 2 possible scenarios going on a) your gigging loads and so you can sell at gigs or if you don't have that b) make sure that you have a great press office and distributor involved. The latter was my option because I cannot afford to take a seven piece band on the road and so it was essential to fill out all the forms and do the release properly. If I was young and gigging I would probably side step the bureaucracy and go for full financial results!
You've been a member of the rather splendid Clayhill for a few years now. Can you give any clues as to if/when we might see more material and/or a tour or three from you guys?
There are no clues I am afraid. Last year was hard for us, even though we started an album. This was left in limbo since Gavin has been working with Unkle, and then we both went on to record his solo album. We have started again [on the Clayhill record] and the songs are written and sounding great but I'm afraid it's still no clearer as to when they will see light of day.
Gavin's solo will be out later in the year.
Are there any new bands/artists you think our readers owe it to themselves to check out?
I have to confess I've fallen for the media hype and love Bon Iver at the moment. Taken By Trees. Rachael Unthank and the Winterset, The Pascales and Amuna have all been played a lot.
Do you have any career highlights you'd like to share?
Many. My last solo gig at The Luminaire in London was a beautiful thing!
Main stage Glastonbury with Beth, supporting Kathryn Williams with Clayhill, touring Australia with Beth and doing a West Coast of Ireland pub tour with her. There are also too many friend/ band mate moments that are so special too mention.
Any particular lowlights?
Many. The last Clayhill tour was really hard. But probably my favourite was playing to an audience of a plastic guide dog for the blind statue with my band Junction and being told to turn down as the dogs couldn't hear their owner's whistle. All the gigs where you're talked over, and one where I got punched by a squadie!
What does the rest of 2008 hold for Ted Barnes?
Releasing this album at last. Debuting it on the SouthBank on September 27th, which is very exciting and a bit of a dream come true. Releasing Gavin's solo album and touring it. Hoping that Shane [Meadows]'s new film which it is the soundtrack for does well. Starting a new solo album. Trying to earn some money. Share looking after my son with my partner and remain in a better place!!
Any final thoughts?
Not really!! Only to thank you for this interview and hope I survive in this business to do another one with the next release!!

http://www.the-mag.me.uk/Music/Articles/Item/Ted-Barnes-Interview-20080709/

No comments:

Post a Comment